Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Memphis



After the Las Vegas week it was on to Memphis.
We landed at 11:00pm local time and by the time we got out of the airport and I had a cigarette, I noticed the shuttle bus service to the hire cars. All but one company had small busses with steps so I decided to go with the hire company with the larger bus to allow the wheelchair to be wheeled on.
Got ripped off BIG TIME, my hire car, same size and pre paid fuel, CDW, etc. cost me three times what I paid in Las Vegas. It was after midnight and I could not be bothered to cause my Mother further distress so I signed the dotted line and took the deal.
Leaving the airport and driving Downtown, all eating places were closed? As we had not had a decient meal for ages we drove around and eventually found a gas station with a police car parked outside. So I venture inside to ask directions to the nearest eating joint that is open. The officer checking his watch, sent me to a Denny's just off Beal Street, parked in a nearby multi-story car park and walked the two or three blocks to Denny's with my Mother in her wheelchair. Never been so afraid in my life, this place was scary, beggers aiming at us from every direction holding out their tins and rubbing their bellies gesturing for money to buy food.
Quick meal, back to the car and drive was the main action, I was shocked to find such poverty at every corner and afraid to stop and ask directions to any Hotels.
I couldn't even stop to read the map as there were many very thin men hanging round every corner.
Eventually found a road sign for Uptown and found the Wyndham Garden Hotel. Booked in for two nights as I knew we would NOT be staying in that area for too long as it was still very close to the Downtown area.

Click Thums to enlarge.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
View of the Memphis Pyrimid from the fifth floor.
Never found out exactly what it contained or the purpose.
The one and only reason that Memphis gets tourists is the music and history of the place with the number one attraction being everything to do with Elvis Presley.
We found the bronze statue of Elvis at the top of Beale Street. Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

My Mother even managed to take one photo of me on Beale Street without cutting off my head.
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

For the deep south eating experience, the place that was frequented by the King himself was The Blues City Cafe. Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com


No comments: